Welcome!

I believe in god, only I spell it Nature-- Frank Lloyd Wright

Saturday, July 23, 2011

Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds

Sorry for disappearing for a little bit! I have been trying to enjoy the fleeting days of my summer vacation. We found out we are having a girl :D!  I couldn't be more excited!

But allow me to return to my regularly scheduled blog. Today I ordered my fall seeds from Baker Creek Seeds. I know there are many seed companies out there. Burpees is one of the largest and oldest, and there are tons of others. My friend Brittany introduced my to Bakers Creek. They are the largest supplier of heirloom seeds in the country. They pride themselves with selling only non-GMO, non genetically altered, heirloom seeds. Many of the seeds can be traced back to pilgrims first settling the United States. I like knowing that the seeds I am planting are tested by time, and in their purest form.

Baker Creek's website is very user friendly. They give background on themselves, a link to different magazines you may be interested in, and a way to search their over 1400 seeds for a specific kind of seed. Each seed gives a history on that particular seed, where it grows best, and how it will look. One of my only complaints is not very many of the links have pictures. And since they are based in Missouri, many of the plants they say will grow well in the summer would melt in my zone 9 climate, so I just have to keep up in my zoning.

Buying the seeds is a breeze, and the seeds come surprisingly fast. My packing slip always has a personal hand written thank you from the owners, which means a lot to me in a world of ebay and amazon impersonal-ness. The seed packages themselves are works of art. Many have pictures of the Baker Creek farms on them, or old timey illustrations. And, they always throw in a free seed packet! I have gotten a purple carrot and a beautiful wildflower in the past. If you don't like the internet, they have a toll free number you can call and speak to someone in person. Also, on their site, they have to link to request one of the beautiful seed catalogs for free. It is an attractive glossy tome filled with fantastic descriptions and color pictures of many of their seeds. I could spend a whole day planning out future gardens with that magazine in my lap and a cup of lemonade in the other. Best of all, it's free!

Well, that is my review of Baker Creek's heirloom seeds! I hope you decide to check them out :)

1 comment: