Welcome!

I believe in god, only I spell it Nature-- Frank Lloyd Wright

Sunday, January 13, 2013

An ounce of prevention

Being fairly new to gardening, I set out to plant of own veggies and flowers with earnest, hoping to carve out my little piece of self reliance. Then Florida showed its' true colors. My pumpkins, squash and watermelon succumbed to powdery mildew, my tomatoes had bugs, and my apples got eaten by squirrels. I was so disappointed that I didn't even bother planting a winter garden. Instead I spent some free time these past few months researching safe, natural remedies for common garden pests. I uncovered some simple ones that i decided to put to the test today! Here is what I did:

*I learned that ants do not like cinnamon, so much so that they will not cross a line of cinnamon. So I set out to create a barrier around all my plant beds, around my windows, and in cracks in my pavement. I also read that cayenne peppers works as well, but I did not have enough of that. Here's to hoping it works!

The spices I used
A barrier we created right around my front walk way

Cinnamon where the ants like to enter my front door


My son helping out


 *Everything I read said that powdery mildew hates milk. Powdery mildew affected all my vining crops, plus my rose bushes. So I bought a few spray bottles, and filled one up with half milk and half water:

 * I also read that baking soda, among many many other awesome things, controls powdery mildew. I figured that I would preventatively kill any already present in the ground, so I sprinkled all my beds and rose bushes with it.
I will let you all know how it all turns out!

No comments:

Post a Comment