Welcome!

I believe in god, only I spell it Nature-- Frank Lloyd Wright

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

2010 update

So, since I last blogged about my garden in August, a lot has happened. Here is a recap:

-- The little green bug ended up getting to my tomatoes and peppers. The leaves ended up getting eaten and the heat of the summer got to the stems.

-- My onions seemed to be fine. In November, when the leaves started to drop (6 months after I planted them) I dug them up. What I pulled out of the Earth resembled a cross between ginger and carrots. It was white and deformed, and had the consistency of a carrot. My husband dared to eat a little, and he spat it out right away. I was so sad that it was so wrong! Both these and the peppers and tomatoes had plenty of water. I will look into the soil quality and sun exposure next season.

-- My crepe myrtle's leaves turned a beautiful shade of red, and fell off. They are very cold sensitive!

-- My rose bushes are mixed- the large one seems to be ok, it looked like it may have a fungus, but is fine now. My husband accidentally mowed over my yellow dwarf roses, so we will see if they come back.

-- The silver fog have all died, I believe they are annuals anyway. They last in Florida heat though, and tolerate lots of water followed by no water. i will definitely bring them back.

-- My jasmine is finally dying. That vine is hardy! It grew with not much to hold onto, and didn't require lots of fussing. The leaves are big and a bright green. They were the first plant I planted, so they lasted from March-January. I hope I can keep it more, just two more months! But i think the last cold snap got to it :(

-- One of my gardenias died. The way the late fall sun was positioned, it got full sun all day in the dry fall weather. The other two are welting, but if we have a mild winter I may be able to save them.

-- My beautiful magnolia tree is doing great! It dropped a few leaves this fall, and the bright red underside has dulled somewhat. I can't tell if it's grown any or not. I put a wind chime I bought at an art festival this weekend on it. It's been pretty windy, so I have enjoyed it tremendously!

Here is a photo:













That's about all for now! Next blog: 2011 garden plans!

1 comment:

  1. What a great catch up.. don't pull up your jasmine as mine came back even after the terriable winter last year.. now my view on onions I think you had the wrong type.. sadly in the south we a limited onion base we can choose from these are called short day types while most onions are long day types.. I'm trying red creole which is a short day with reddish spicy flesh check out bountiful gardens or pinetree I think they have more short day types then bakers creek

    ReplyDelete