Welcome!

I believe in god, only I spell it Nature-- Frank Lloyd Wright

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Crazy orange tree!

I have an orange tree in my front yard. It was pretty sorry and sad looking, and produces what I feel are bitter fruit. It had broken dead branches all over and the live branches were drooping. I felt so bad for the tree! I just knew if I pruned it, fertilized it and overall cared for it, it would come back.

This weekend I finally nagged my husband enough, and we set out to trim it. After trimming some branches we realized that the dead branches all stemmed from one main branch. We took our chainsaw and cut it off. I felt awful, but knew it was for the better. It looked a little lopsided, but healthier. Then I noticed some growth at the base of it. Thinking it was just another plant growing over the tree, I took my clippers and started to cut it back. I discovered it had HUGE thorns! At least an inch long each! My husband said it was another orange tree, but I have never heard of orange trees having thorns as babies. SO bizarre! I cut it back, not all the way, but enough to make walking around it safe.

So the tree looks healthier, and I will take care of it better in the coming year. My question is- can anyone shead some light on this growth coming out of the trees' trunk?

No comments:

Post a Comment