Welcome!

I believe in god, only I spell it Nature-- Frank Lloyd Wright

Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Green stuff for next to nothing

Since I will not be gardening much the next few months, I may be posting more things related to outdoors in general, or how to be greener in life. I was doing a search about trees and stumbled upon www.arborday.org. They have wonderful resources to get your children involved outdoors, a huge database where you can search for trees, and a pretty reasonable membership.

The membership is what interested me, so I clicked the link. You can join for 6 months ($10) or one year ($15). When you join, your are subscribed to a bimonthly newsletter called Arbor Day. Also, you recieve a book called The Tree Book, and get up to 60% off any order through them. The best part is, you get to choose to plant 10 trees in a forest in your name, or they will send you 10 trees for free! I choose the 10 free trees. You enter in your zip code and it gives you a few options of trees that grow well in your area. I could pick 10 bald cypresses, 10 live oaks, or 5 myrtles. I picked 5 myrtles. I can't wait- my myrtle I planted last year is well over 7 feet tall, and gave me beautiful baby pink flowers last year. I want to plant them along the border of my yard. They should arrive soon, along with my newsletter and tree book!

No comments:

Post a Comment