Welcome!

I believe in god, only I spell it Nature-- Frank Lloyd Wright

Wednesday, June 29, 2011

New apple tree

My biggest purchase from last weekend's Saturday Morning Market adventure was a fruit tree. More specifically an Ein Shemer apple tree. Most apple trees need another apple tree planted by it to pollinate it and help it produce fruit, but this one is self pollinating. Also, most apple trees grow best up north because they need 250-300 chill hours. Chill hours are the amount of time a tree needs temperature to be 45*F and below. This allows the leaves to go dormant. Obviously we do not get a lot of chill hours in west central Florida, especially where I live along the coast. This particular apple tree needs 100 chill hours, which is perfect for Florida.

I purchased it from Debra, the owner of The Edible Plant Store, at the Saturday Morning Market. She has a wide variety of plants suitable for zones 8-9, including herbs, fig trees, olive vines, pomegranate trees and banana trees. Her website is http://www.edibleplantstore.com/index.html, and she will deliver or you can pick it up at the market. She is very knowledgeable and has a large variety of plants, even more than her website lists.

We just planted the tree in my front yard today. It gets full sun from 9am until about 7pm during the summer time. It is about four feet tall now. Debra said it should produce blossoms next spring and some fruit next June. i can't wait to smell apple blossoms! And, in a few years I will have some actual shade in my front yard!

Here is a picture of the tree:






We made a little reservoir around it so when we water it, it will want to retain water into the root system. Here is a close up of a leaf:




I Think it looks kind of neat! I am used to my magnolia tree's leaves, which are waxy on top and very hardy. These seem delicate. And it is deciduous, so the leaves will turn colors in the fall!! A little bit of season in my yard :) Overall, I am very excited!

1 comment:

  1. I'm so excited! I cant wait to see your baby tree become a big momma tree producing yummy apples for you and your family and maybe me ; )YAY for apples!

    ReplyDelete