Welcome!

I believe in god, only I spell it Nature-- Frank Lloyd Wright

Thursday, February 16, 2012

Herb spotlight- lavender

I want start posting occasionally about specific plants. Some of you reading this may be thinking hey, I know all I need to about gardening! Well just sit back and relax, and I will do my best to entertain!

Today I want to talk about my favorite herb: lavender. There is nothing like the smell of fresh lavender after the rain. It is a perennial, meaning it will come back year after year. It prefers a warm climate, since it is native to the Mediterranean area. The less you fuss with it the happier it will be. Water it every 3-4 days or so, and give it 6+ hours of sunlight every day. If you are kind enough to it, it can get 40 inches tall and even be used as a hedge. Otherwise it's just as happy in a pot on your front porch.

Lavender has culinary uses. It is very versatile, as it can add to the flavor and appearance of a dish. I think it has a sweet taste, almost bitter if you use too much. Use it in sweets and desserts, or in dishes like Indian or Chinese if you want to give it a surprising sweet kick.

Lavender can also be used medicinally. It is believed that smelling the aroma of lavender has a calming effect on the nervous system by lower blood pressure and triggering calming chemicals in the brain. Many products on the market exist that are marketed as "calming" or "sleep aid" that actually contain lavender. Lavender can also be used for it''s antiseptic properties. I know I add a few drops of lavender essential oil to my daughter's wet cloth diaper pail, and it not only freshens them but also kills bacteria on them naturally. You can also dry the flower heads and use them in potpourri.

If you decide to grow lavender, know that it is extremely hard to start from seed. The seeds are as tiny as a pinhead, and do not germinate easily. I got mine from a local nursery. Make sure it gets plenty of sun, and do not over water it.



Until next time friends!

2 comments:

  1. I want lavender, trying to start seed now (just planted today)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck! Did you get your seeds from Bakers Creek?

    ReplyDelete