Welcome!

I believe in god, only I spell it Nature-- Frank Lloyd Wright

Wednesday, February 1, 2012

The sky is falling!

My husband and I have two lovely friends who each own chickens. Chris has always wanted chickens, and even has names picked out for them! I, on the other hand, was like 98% of the population and considered them to be dirty and pointless. I grew up with tales of how farm animals have all sorts of crazy diseases, like salmonella and e. coli, and how dirty they are. It's hard to shake that. However, seeing how much fun our two fiends have, and how easy it looked, I have begun to warm to the idea. I mean, who doesn't want eggs at their disposal every morning? Plus I think my children would really have fun with them. From what I saw of my friends' chickens, they seem very entertaining and full of personality. And ever since last month it is legal to own chickens in my county. We have the space in the back yard, and now is a great time to buy chicks. I borrowed two book from my friend Chris (not hubby, a friend) and she sent me numerous sites all about living with and raising chickens. Very informative! I think my problem is that I am a little overwhelmed at the myriad of choices of breeds and coups and feed. I told Chris (hubby this time) that I would need some help with research this time.

So my question to you my readers is: can anyone recommend a good small breed that is generally easy going? What kind of shelter do they need and how big does it need to be? Is 2 okay or do I need 3 or more for them to be happy? Where do I buy them from? Any tips on having children and other animals around them? Thanks!

5 comments:

  1. I am totally interested. Please let me know what you find out Jennifer! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jen, you need at least two hens. Chickens are very social creatures.

    We got our chicks from Martin's Farm, which is not too far from Largo Mall. They generally have a wide variety of hens, and have a guarantee that if you somehow end up with a rooster (which is illegal in our country), she will replace it with a hen.

    We have owned Rhode Island Reds, a Barred Rock, two Australorps, and a New Hampshire Red. In my opinion they've all been mellow chickens, but I read something recently about the Barred Rock being a quiet, mellow breed. So is the Australorp, although they always seem a little more timid when I pick them up. All of the breeds listed above are great layers.

    The question you need to ask yourself is what is most important to you. We wanted good egg layers that are easy going.

    I don't know your Pugs well enough to know whether or not they will get along with your chickens. I had a dog that got along well with all of our other pets, but she was an anomaly. The Jack Russells would kills the chickens if they could get to them. It took them about five months to get over the fact that yes, there are chickens in our yard. And, yes they are on the other side of that fence. And NO! You don't have to bark every time you see them! I don't think you'll have any issues with Indiana, and Piper is still too small.

    Chris K (not the husband Chris, LOL)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooops. Meant that roosters are illegal in in our county.

      Delete
  3. This is an article about Sandi Martin who owns Martin Farms.

    http://www.myfoxtampabay.com/dpp/news/local/pinellas/0315-chickens-sought-in-the-city

    ReplyDelete
  4. Come over this way I have 2 stores near me that keep chicks, you need at least 2 sq ft per hen.. I have amercuanas, Wyandotte, buff Orpington, and we had a jeraey giant.. there is a website that finds you the perfect chicken based on what u want. You want a friendly nonbroody hens the bears confinment wel!! I love having ours . Chicks and kids are a natural just make sure you keep lile hands away from baby chicks.

    ReplyDelete