Welcome!

I believe in god, only I spell it Nature-- Frank Lloyd Wright

Saturday, March 31, 2012

Hard days work

This week I have been on spring break. It has been so much fun! We visited John's Pass, the beach, celebrated Ostara, and had numerous picnics. As most of you know, when you have children it's hard to get much of anything done that remotely resembles work. So Wednesday I asked my sister in law to watch the kids. Most people would have kicked back, read some magazines and caught up on their DVR. Nope, I am crazy, I gardened!I had a full 4 hours free and I put on my muddy sneakers, grabbed my wide brimmed hat, put on sunscreen and headed outside!

First things first, I had two blueberry bushes I bought a few days earlier that needed to be planted. I stopped at Home Depot and got some pine mulch. Blueberries like acidic soil, so I figured adding that along with peat moss would not only acidify the soil but help retain the water in my sandy soil. I got home and found the sunniest part of my back yard, right next to my other blueberry bush. I cleared the area of weeds and grass and dug a hole twice as wide and just as deep as the plant. I back filled it with garden soil, peat and pine mulch. The resulting planting was about 6 inches above the ground level and heavily mulched. I am excited because they are all three different kinds of blueberries, so they should cross pollinate well. Here is what the area looked like as I worked:
 Here is the area before I started ^^
 Got one in
 The hole for the second bush
 Second bush waiting to be planted
 Here they all are! The closest is the one I planted last year, the two further along are the new ones.
Hello plants!

I also surprised my husband and got him a gardenia tree. Yes, they come in trees! Along this fence seems to be the sweet spot for growing things. Everything grows here. Heck, we even have grass growing over here! So, here goes nothing with it. Here is what it looks like:

 Pretty, isn't it?
Ta da! All in a row, I hope they all live long and prosper ;) (star wars pun intended)

1 comment:

  1. My geeky side is coming out but the quote is star trek ;) LOL!!! I love the new plants!!! looks great I hope they all do well!!!

    ReplyDelete