Welcome!

I believe in god, only I spell it Nature-- Frank Lloyd Wright

Sunday, March 18, 2012

Sad orange tree

As most of you know, I am a sucker for citrus blossoms. Having grown up next to two lots full of orange and grapefruit trees, these smells bring back many happy memories. I blogged extensively about it last year (read it here). This year, I have been watching the orange tree in my yard start to develop buds that would eventually turn into blossoms. Every morning I walk out to my car and eagerly await the buds to open. Alas, sadly, many of them just wilted before they even opened :(  I am sad to say that this tree is dying. Here is a picture:
As you can see, about half of the branches are dead. Chris cut off all the dead branches last year, and it looked pretty good, now it looks even worse. The bark is peeling in weird places. The oranges that come off of it are spotted black and taste bitter. And it has a lemon tree with HUGE thorns growing on the side of it. I think I may have an arborist come out and examine it. If it truly is dying we will pay to have it removed. No sense in having it possibly get a disease that may spread to other plants. I will keep you all posted on the outcome!

No comments:

Post a Comment